Thursday, July 31, 2003

So, my husband is forcing me to get with the times.

I'm an intelligent girl, but I resist on certain issues already (what will I be like when I'm older?). God help me, I don't want to become someone who's stuck in past. I love:

A real, true, stamped letter- yes e-mail and telephone calls are quick and they do the job, but nothing is sweeter than a pen-to-paper piece of mail from a dear friend... or your grandma...or even your neighbor.

Actual photos- I love the digital age as much as most people. We own a digital camera and I have even been known to use it. However, I find that film, negatives, cool lenses, f-stops, special filters, and a darkroom produce quality prints and an experience unmatched by any digital camera I've seen or used.

Handwritting- I keep an actual handwritten journal for each of the boys. Yes, you can type a letter or keep your thoughts in a Word document, but nothing reveals personality like slanted script or choppy print. Now that my mom is gone, I treasure recipe cards of hers or birthday cards she wrote...its as though a part of her is living on that page. I miss her and it seems to bring her right back to me. I don't feel the same with printouts of e-mails she sent, although the information may be the same.

All this said, Eric and I were talking about things we'd like to do in the boys' bedroom. I started rambling off projects and decorating ideas. He suggested I gather everything into an Excel spreadsheet with cost so that we can plan and take it one step at a time. "Sure, I can organize a nice list and even sketch the finished look for you". That's not what he said. Excel. It needs to be in Excel. I am being given, essentially, a homework assignment that will force me to learn this program. It's been the dragon I just didn't want to slay. I've never needed it before and have done just fine without it for years. I guess this is an excercise in keeping me from becoming the eighty-year-old woman who listens to music on a record player. Incidently, my Grandma Joyce still uses a rotary phone and I love her just the same!

No comments: