Thursday, July 10, 2003

Grapes of Wrath

I did it. I finished the Grapes of Wrath last night. Eric kept telling me it was alright to continue reading until it was complete; afterall, I only had 70 pages left. Oh, but I felt so guilty- we hardly talked at all last night...just me with my nose in my book!

For anyone who has never read this book before (which was me until last night!), I highly recommend it. It truly is a classic; it changes you. Honestly, it changes you. You can read your history books about the Great Depression, but it never provides the imagery to drive the point home. Here, you feel it. You understand the people of that generation more now: why they feel the need to save things (some even hoard because, "you can't waste that!") And not only do you feel the desperation of these people. You feel humbled- by merely reading. You feel embarassed for having so much. You feel thankful to God for the blessings you have- which suddenly seem luxurious.

I think it took me some time to settle into the book, to sink in and get comfortable. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen is not easily left behind for the choppy poor grammar of these Oklahoma Dust Bowl migrants from Sallisaw. By starting Grapes of Wrath one day after finishing Mansfield Park, the transition was rough and unnatural. While Austen's world is refined, Steinbeck's is sprinkled with some cursing and crudeness (PG-13/ R...consider yourself warned). But, they each capture their own world beautifully.

I don't know what I'll be reading next, although have Wuthering Heights and Villette as possibilities.

Mary and I are taking a road trip up to Michigan at the end of this month (her cousin is throwing her a baby shower back "home"). Maybe I'll ask her if she'd like to pick a book to read aloud while we drive. I did this for Eric as we drove to VA and D.C. last week...it was rather fun. Although, it wouldn't work for people who get motion sickness.

No comments: