Tuesday, December 20, 2005


Here is my very first ever go at traditional English Christmas Cake with marzipan and rolled fondant (sugarpaste). Having "tested" bits along the way, I'm sure the complete thing will be wonderful on Christmas day because the marzipan by itself is great, the fondant by itself is great, the cake (I had to sliver some off to level the cake) by itself is great, and certainly the three combined with a brushing of rum between the layers is great. Without the nifty crimpers that my grandma uses for the fondant, I got creative and impressed designs in the sugarpaste with Wilton icing tips (#78 and #107); the result looks a bit like snowflakes. I'm pleased.

9 comments:

Amy Button said...

Wow, that is so beautiful! But will it actually make it to Christmas Day?

Tisra said...

If you mean, will it last properly?- yes. The icing and the rum and brandy all work to preserve the cake. You can make them a few months ahead, actually. But if you mean, will it be eaten before Christmas day?- no. I won't let anyone touch it until then.

Anonymous said...

Oh Tisra it's BEAUTIFUL!

I know your dad will love having it with you Christmas day. I only wish I could be there to enjoy it with you.

Mary said...

It looks incredible. I am so pleased for you. How pretty!

Heather said...

I must echo Mary, it looks incredible. I love the "snowflake" impressions that you made with the icing tips. The ribbon and trimming topper are perfect. It will be a TREAT on Christmas day. You are amazing!!!

Traci said...

It'll be able to walk and talk by Christmas! Sounds and looks superb.

Forever Amber said...

Tisra, that's AWESOME. Way to go!

Kristy Jo said...

How can you eat that? It's too pretty!

Jessie said...

wow! it's beautiful! :)