Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Enriching Compost, at least for this year

Eric and I got married, and I thought we were in agreement. Real trees only. But, this year, he switched camps and has been mentioning the pre-lit artificial tree purchase that we should make. What?! Whom did I marry? This saddens me, and I guess I was a bit whiny about it all, so I got my way. But it has been declared that my real tree years are limited in number. He doesn't like the mess, the disposal, the trip to the tree lot in the cold. I love the smell, the selection process, the fact that each years' tree is different. I don't want to store a huge box, either. And the convincing fake trees are very expensive. And what if the pre-lit portion fritzes out partially and you're left with a half-lit tree? That happened to someone we know. And what if we move and need a bigger or smaller tree? Clearly, I have issues and am not ready to concede.

For some families, this isn't a big deal. They've always had a fake tree. That's fine for them, but I want a real tree!

Oh, and he pulled the environmental card on me! About how we'll be saving trees. My perspective is, "at least they're biodegradable". Also, these trees are specifically farmed for the purpose of cutting them down at Christmas- we are not destroying forrests to celebrate the birth of Christ. And however short their lives, they have given the world oxygen during that time and will enrich compost after their purpose is served. Maybe I'm wrong. I'd like to see the research. Where is the research, people?!

So, yes, I "won" and we picked up a real tree at Home Depot with Eric's parents on Monday in the freezing cold. Our noses stung a bit and it was lovely. Although, with a fake tree possibly joining our home in a year or two, I made sure to choose an extra smelly tree. We normally go with a Frazier fur because of the pretty and distinct branches. But I think the Douglas fur we got this year, while slightly more "scruffy" looking, offers up a stronger pine scent. I am not comforted by the ability to buy pine scent in a can, as Eric suggests. Seriously.

I love you, Eric, we'll get through this. :-)

So, the tree is decorated. We're stringing popcorn this week. I'm also considering making some decorations with the kids, inspired by this Chrismon page via JennySmith. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amber and I made Chrismons together a couple weeks ago for the Christmas choir program at our Church. The Calvert curriculum also has a recipe for some cinnamon ornaments that I think I may do with the girls in a couple days or so. It should be fun!

Heather said...

Tisra, I totally agree with you about the fresh cut Christmas trees. I think that fake ones just don't compare. I don't know of any research that can be found to support our opinion. However, I understand Eric's point as well. The trees are a mess and even though it is their purpose I hate to really think about cutting and tossing them. Do you remember that for a few years my Grandparents rented from a place called "Living Trees of Christmas" or something like that? The company came and delivered a live tree in a pot and then they took it away and planted it after the holiday season. The only problems I remember were that the pot had to be covered with pretty fabric (not major) and that the trees were the more pine-y type which met less strong branches for the heavy ornaments. Oh, yes, and it was a big watering commitment. I took a quick look on line and found www.livingchristmastrees.org but I think that they only service the Oregon area. At any rate it is nice to know you and Eric aren't too perfecrt, sometimes I think you two agree on everything!

Traci said...

Tisra, you have my vote on this one! Real trees forever!!

Jenny said...

I am totally in support of your insisting of having a real tree. What is the point in having a fake tree? It's as if you're just going through the motions of Christmas. I love, love, love real trees. Their scent, the inevitable bald spots, etc.

Did you end up making the Chrismons?