From time to time, Eric and I like to have a one-on-one outing with the kids. I wish I could say it was more often, but weeks slip quickly into months around here. And while Dean and I have had outings together (grabbing an ice cream or heading to the park), this weekend was our first official date. The kind of date where he has a secret exchange of funds with Dad, tells me where to drive, and we go out for dinner (where he pays!) and he opens the door and we talk without interruption.
Sweet Dean has been wanting to do this with me for a few weeks now, and asked about it nearly every day. But the timing had to be just right- Daddy had to be available to watch the other kids, and we couldn't have any other plans, and it couldn't be a school night. Sooooo Saturday it was!
Eric slipped him $30 and we went on our way. For about 5 minutes in the car, I lost Dean to multiple questions about money. "How much will dinner cost?" "How much if we go to Maggie Moos after?" "Do they give me the extra money back?" "What dollars do they make?" (then there was fascination over why they don't make a $3 bill). I remember this similar obsession over the money when Grant and I went on our first date around the same age... a slight worry that there won't be enough money to cover it all.
Baja Fresh was Dean's request. We had just been there the night before as a family so it was fresh on his mind as having good food. And, he was worried about going to Jason's Deli (apparently his other first choice) because they have an ice cream bar and he didn't want the ice cream bar to replace the, obviously, important Maggie Moos!
In talking with my little guy alone, I realized how important these dates with him will be. As a middle child, he isn't used to getting to talk for so long without someone speaking over him or suggesting a different opinion (in hopes of swaying his!). So, I found that he was quiet at times when I would expect Grant or Lael to be chatter boxes. He will probably have an easier time than others at being quick to listen and slow to speak.
You'll see that we did indeed have enough money after dinner to hit Maggie Moos. (I even took video at Maggie Moos with my purse camera and Dean was so careful in asking if I could name the video "Number One First Date"- really sweet and I'm sad it wouldn't upload easily. Drat. Probably too much cuteness for the internet, anyway. :-))





12 comments:
Ahh, that's so cute! Date night and he paid, that is just too much sugary goodness :) What a sweetheart.
And is that BubbleGum ice cream? Either way that looks good!
Now that's a good idea. We're going to have to start doing date nights with Andrew. In addition to the chance to spend one-on-one time, it's a great way to start teaching chivalry while he's young. His future wife will appreciate that.
I love Dean's technicolor lips.
That is so sweet! I love it!!
I've always thought the date night was a good idea and even talked to Kris about doing that with our kids before we had any. I never thought through some of the logistics of making it happen though and love the little plan you guys have worked up. I think I'll make Owen call and arrange the babysitting too. Looks like you had a first class date with Dean. He's such a charming fella'.
This is so precious! My 4 year old loves going on dates with mom, too. Who would have thought 15 years ago a date with our little guys would be at the top of our fun lists?
That is wonderful Tisra! You could use a night out with a handsome guy like that! And Dean you sure are handsome!!!! I am glad you had a great night!
Sarah k
Too precious! Dean is such a sweet little guy.
This is just so awesome that you do this... it is really making me think about my own traditions like this with my boys. Thank you for that! I just love, too, that they get to be the ones to "pay" and hold the door-- what a GREAT teaching opportunity! I'm definitely going to be doing this soon.
Courtney
We think having these dates is a great idea. And Dean's questions are too cute!
LOVE this! Thanks for sharing. I can see I'm not the only one who will borrow this idea.
Nothing better than a date with Mom, & blue ice cream. :) What a fun time.
xoxo
I love this, you little Blue Man Group! What a fun idea. He looks like he's having tons of fun but totally freezing. WOW! you wear skirts in the cold... I'm a weeny. Sara
Post a Comment