Friday, December 19, 2008

After



Lael had her surgery on Monday and has been a fabulous little trouper!  The 'Day Of' was tough on us, and on her, but you'd hardly know she had surgery right now.  She took one dose of pain medicine that day because we wanted it to get her through the first night.  But, when she awoke Tuesday (and ever since) she has had no complaints and has not taken another dosing.  Hooray!

She has been wrapped in a soft cast to prevent thumb sucking and to protect it.  That will come off on Dec. 31st at which point I think it may bother her a bit more- the wound will still be healing and the scar will be tender.  In the cast, she has no movement, and I wonder if bending it will cause discomfort.  But, for now, she is doing amazingly!

We did have one challenge- clothes!  Leaving the hospital, Eric went to put her long sleeved shirt back on, and it wouldn't fit!  Neither would her coat.  I ran to the Goodwill and bought a few warm things that I don't mind cutting the arm on.  That cute coat in the picture won't be worn after the cast comes off since I hacked off the left sleeve.  But, I think the ability to allow Lael outside in winter for these two weeks will have been well worth the $7.99.

Saying that, though, is a laugh.  Today, we're having a warm spell and no coats are necessary.  We went from snow last Friday to 65F today!

4 comments:

The Family K. said...

So glad to hear the surgery went well and that Lael seems to be relatively pain-free. What a little trooper!

Mary said...

Did you hem it too? It actually looks nice. Not that you would leave the stuffing hanging out but somehow it looks much nicer than I would expect when I think of hacking a sleeve off. I'm glad she's doing so well. She's a tough little thing.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad she's doing well. It can be hard for kids to understand they have to have limits sometimes.

From having had my foot in a cast for three weeks two years ago - it is a weird feeling when the cast comes off, like it can finally breath. It's a bit weird the first time you move it but then it's back to playing in no time :)

Precious Wonders and Little Monkeys said...

Poor little thing. I'm so sorry I've been MIA and missed this post. I want to wish little Lael well. Good job little one! Hello warm! On the 19th Vegas still had snow & was barely 40 degrees. Feel better soon Lael. =0) Sara.sofa