Hurricane Ike interrupted work at the refineries in and around Galveston, TX. These are the same refineries that supply Nashville with gasoline. There are specifics about a three-pronged distribution (Memphis and Knoxville being the other prongs), and something about 3-5 mile per hour pipeline flow. But, all I know is that this could continue through the week.
It is completely strange to pass stations that are empty, with all of the nozzles covered. Thanks to the fast traveling of information via cell phones and internet, it is pretty easy to find out which stations are expecting their next shipment. The only downside is that these stations get slammed with cars hoping to fill up. There is the potential to wait in line for an hour and have the station run out. I've heard of people running out of gas waiting to put fuel in their car.
Friday night, Eric's sister was going to watch our kids so we could run out for a short date. In arranging a drop-off time, she mentioned that they were having a mini-crisis because both of their cars were very low. They just hadn't expected the shortage to be so far spreading. We brought them our lawnmower can, which had about a gallon in it, and also dropped off our kids.
On the way to their house with the kids, we passed the local Swifty mart and there were about 150 cars lined up because they had gas. Eric and I went out to a local Japanese restaurant with hibachi grill. I'd never done that before and it was fun (although, I still ordered sushi- that was what *I* was there for!). Leaving the restaurant, we drove past Costco and noticed that people were filling up at the Costco fuel station and there was a very small line. It was 9:30 at this point, so maybe that had something to do with it. Anyway, I had about a half tank, but it was certainly worth topping it off then and there. We also called Tim and told him to leave all the kids with Angie and to GET OVER THERE and get gas. He did, and only two cars after him got through the line before they closed the station down.
I'm pretty much not going anywhere this week unless I have to and it has had me considering whether or not I could accomplish a quick run to the store by bike if I ever had to. (yes, I decided I could).
This is completely strange.





10 comments:
Wow! I can't imagine what that would be like. Chaos for most of Los Angeles, I am sure. It wouldn't be *as* big of a deal for me now that I work at home, but I would definitely have the itches to go out, simply by knowing my freedom was limited.
Oh my goodness. That WOULD be so surreal!!! Scary, isn't it, when we realize how truly dependent we are on fuel???
Welcome to life in the big city, and small islands of the Caribbean. Actually, I think that since I graduated high school, I have spent more time without a car than with. You will love the city cause you can get around without a car and everything is within biking distance. I can't wait till you get here! Make sure to save enough gas to get to the airport!
Wow. I haven't heard anything like that going on in this neck of the woods. Wowza.
It has been surreal. I think I've escaped a lot of the anxiety but I feel this crawling uncomfortable insecurity when I pass the empty stations. Thankfully we have had more stations with gas in our area, and have not had to wait in lines for it. The "what if" has been interesting to go through though...what can we live without? Turns out we don't need all that much and like you...the grocery stores are not too far to walk or ride to.
Wow... this sounds like something out of science fiction novel. Bizarre. Here's hoping things will get better soon!
I am so sorry our Texas Ike did that to you guys. Our stations are fine now. I don't know why we would have fuel and TN wouldn't? Isn't that strange? People who live in Galveston are just now getting to go back today (just to look, evaluate and leave-they can stay but limited water, power, on the island)Many parts of Houston are out of power still. The neighborhood across the street from our is out until the end of next week, officials say. Many of my husband's clients are still out of power. It is really weird here. It truly looks like a war zone here. There are FEMA stations, Red Cross, and parking lots full of people waiting on donated ice, water, & food. This is in the 'burbs where we are and in Houston. Okay, I wrote a book, sorry!
Shannon
http://thisisouradoptionjourney.blogspot.com/
Hi Tisra, I have been following your blog for quite awhile now and have really enjoyed it. What a sweet family you have. We don't have a blog, so I have always been just a quiet reader of a few Taiwan blogs as well as the groups. Anyway, we are on the FEC waiting list since May 07. I would love to talk to you about our similar situations. I just figured out how to leave a comment, but I think you can email me privately.
Take care!
Jen,
I don't have your e-mail address, but you are welcome to contact me.
tisra
tisra AT mac DOT com
Wow. I had no idea! I hope life returns to "normal" soon, although with the economy the way it is, we may all need to face a new version of "normal". If you do need to use the bike, I hope the weather is good for you!
R...
Post a Comment