Having a second child, who is also the second boy, has put me in the strange position of fielding numerous unsolicited remarks from strangers.
"You've got your hands full."
"Two boys? Bless you."
"Are you going to try for a girl?"
"I bet you're tired at the end of a day"
"Both boys? Oh well, I guess you're saving on weddings."
It has also opened my eyes to our society's impressions of family and children. Here in America, "one of each" is considered the ideal family. With a boy and a girl, you get the best of both worlds by experiencing each side of the parenthood fence. I found myself wishing for a girl at times during my pregnancy for this very reason, so I understand where it stems from. However, as humans, we still have no control over the gender of our offspring and I ultimately left it in God's hands. I was recently out with my friend who has two girls; I was jokingly asked if we ever considered swapping kids so that we could get a mix. Sometimes I think people are just trying to make conversation, so I usually smile and play in their game ("no, we don't swap, but when I'm around them I get my 'girl fix' and I'm happy to share mine so she can have her 'boy fix'."). I've now been the proud mother of two sons for 5 months. And I think I'm handling it rather well.
Which is why the "you've got a handful" comments surprise me. Two kids, even by today's standards, does not qualify a person for Huge Family status. So, I have to ask, Is it Me?. Do I look like I can't handle it? Do I look frazzled and worn thin? In fact, to avoid that dreaded "housewife" appearance, I make a point of never wearing sweats or spandex unless I'm exercising, and I try to keep hair and make-up at normal levels. Certainly no curlers or "house coats" here! Ah, but no high heels and runway fashion, either.
I can't stand the Easily Offended times we live in and I am not about to bend under the pressure of Political Correctness by requesting that people keep to topics of weather and current events. So, I try not to get my feelings hurt when people say things like this. It has simply been unexpected to switch from "He's so cute" comments when I only had Grant, to the above comments now that Dean is with us. The second-born never really gets the same treatment as the first, do they?
Yes I have two sons- and I consider myself blessed beyond belief!
Psalm 127:3-5 "Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their enemies in the gate."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment