Back to School
As always, we're busy around here. More so than normal, I believe, because it is school preparation time. "Back to School" doesn't apply to this family; this will be the first time. This is so big I can't really wrap my head around it yet: Grant is starting kindergarten in September. My first born. My little boy. My five year old. Oh. My. Goodness.
In many ways, I'm getting extremely excited. We've done quite well lately with setting aside "lesson time" to work on reading and writing and learning activities. Mostly, it is to foster a love of learning and to establish the routine of Mommy as teacher. But, even without much pushing, he is latching onto the skills for reading and surprising me with a word here and a word there. "You're reading Grant! Good job!", I say to keep him fueled and encouraged.
Since we decided to enroll him in the Academy rather than public school, I will be homeschooling Language Arts and Math while he attends New Song on Wednesdays and Fridays for all the extras: Spanish, Chapel, History, Art, and Science. I've been busy doing my curriculum research for Language Arts and Math (...if anyone can research its me!). Making decisions has been a fine balance between obsessing over reviews and catalogs, and reminding myself that "it is just kindergarten". This isn't a matter of life and death, but it isn't to be taken lightly either. And I must remind myself to pray. Because I know that God led us to this path and gave us peace about this choice, I know that He will add grace to the details.
Yesterday, we received Grant's school calendar in the mail along with the text and book list. Eeeek! So exciting! This year's History involves a great deal of US History, so some of the biographies on the list were for Ben Franklin and Abraham Lincoln. Soon we'll be getting a supply list in the mail for the things to bring to class. I'm sure this won't be the case next year, but this year I can hardly hold myslef back from wanting to purchase it all RIGHT NOW. Staplers, pens, pencils, wide rule paper. And he needs a backpack. And a lunch sack. I started thinking about all of the options out there and wondered what the other kids are buying. While I don't want to teach my kids to worry endlessly about having "what all the other kids have", I don't want them to have the really odd, strange lunch box. LIKE I DID AS A KID.
In elementary school (20 years ago!), while normal kids were bringing a brown paper sack or a rectangular lunch box (with the matching thermos) for their lunches, I was carrying a little cooler. The style has changed very little, and it was red with the top handle- just as it is now. I stuck glitter heart stickers on mine. Boy, that thing was big for a first grader! And I was so embarrased but never had the heart to say anything to my mom. She thought it was perfectly reasonable because it had room for a "blue ice" block at the bottom to keep my food cold. In high school, my friend Vera Ranola even recalled that monster of a lunch box and brought it up once. But I guess my mom was just ahead of her time, because in a quick browse, I noticed that a lot of the lunch sacks these days are equipped with a compartment for blue ice.
And backpacks. Do I get him one of the regular ol' backpacks or the new ones with the pop up handle and wheels like luggage? Hmmmm.
This is crazy, is this really happening?! (Wasn't it yesterday that he was born? And wasn't the day before yesterday when I was "playing school" and I was the little kid?)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





13 comments:
I HAD THE SAME LUNCH BOX! Except mine was my Dad's old brown hand-me-down! But we had it for the same reason; the practicality of it all! I saw some cool, personalized, lunch sacks on lillianvernon.com a while back (that were of course insulated).
They do say the traditional backpack is hard on a persons' spine.
I think I can beat you with the ugly lunch box. I had the vintage Tupperware lunchbox in yellow, red and the lovely brown. It was so ugly, big and awkward to carry. I found a lovely picture here. http://pages.tias.com/9074/PictPage/1922001008.html.
I was ruthlessly teased, but my mother would not give into buying me anything else. Nothing fit unless it was perfectly put into the pre-made containers. I do believe the "drink" cup was an after thought, and a regular soda would not fit into the box. I dreaded every morning trying to get anything ready for my lunch. Oh the horrifying memories.
Amber loves her lunch box we got from the zoo when we signed up this year. I know she will outgrow the coolness of a free zoo lunch box, and when that time comes she will get to pick which one she wants.
Whew! I'm not feeling so bad. Kristy- I can't believe that! Too funny. I guess we turned out okay- trauma and all!
Those backpacks couldn't be any harder on your spine than one of those HUGE lunchboxes!
Oh...and LaDonna...my friend Shannon carried that same tupperware lunchbox. It tippified why we were friends...our mothers were consistently putting practicality above what was "cool". We understood each other...and now look at us all with our lunch box stories. I'm still friends with the "weird kids". :)
Y'all are so pitiful. I am so sorry for your lunchbox woes. LOL I bought my lunch so there.
Just imagine Tisra if you were sending him to school all day every day away from you. that would be sad.
Wow, for the first time in my life I feel like the "cool kid". I had a very cool "Mork and Mindy" lunch box, but felt like the odd man out because I couldn't buy my lunch at school.
BTW, Tisra, I changed my blogspot address. I e-mailed you but it came back. Now it's mglife.blogspot.com.
Amy, I was wondering where you went.
None of us had to eat nearly as much as you did, Travis.
Were you a "three sandwich man" as a kid, too, Trav?
Wow. School. Violet's starting, too.
Thank goodness for her Aunties - she has a really sassy-cool-retro Roxy metal lunchbox with pink hearts on it and a sassy-cool Roxy backpack.
I just picked out her first day of school outfit. It's really happening!!! I can't believe it!!
First day of school outfit- accckkk...I didn't even think about that! But you're right, it has to be perfect for all the millions of pics I'm going to take!
Even though we have already started school, I also plan on having an "official" first day of school. We don't have to deal with backpacks, lunchboxes, and all the "cool" school supplies; however I will have to have a great little outfit for her, and I will probably make her stand outside like she's "going" to school. She will probably be miserable with all the pictures I will be taking. This whole process has been very bitter sweet.
Post a Comment