Saturday, August 08, 2009

So close

This whole time we've been waiting to travel, we've looked at flights. How long it takes from Nashville to New Delhi. How much it costs. Where the flights stop.

A few months back, we realized that a number of flights changed planes at Heathrow. And that is where our dream began. We talked about how nice it would be to stop there for a few days in London to see my family instead of just changing planes and heading to Nashville. "Wouldn't it be incredible to have Grandma see Dorothy?", I'd say. "And my aunts". "And to have a good long break between flights". Ahhhhhh.

Stopping for a few days complicates things, though. Turning it from a "direct flight" into a "multi-destination flight" (even though locations aren't changing AT ALL) adds about $500-$600 to each fare. That adds up.

Apart from cost, we had to weigh how badly we'd want to be home, to see the kids, to get into a routine. And who knows what kind of difficult adjustment Dorothy will be going through- it could be really rough!

Thinking all that through, we hadn't come to a complete decision about what we'd do. However, I called my Grandma to tell her about our guardianship ruling and she was so thrilled! At that moment, I felt like I'd pay any amount of money to get our newest daughter to her great grandma!

After hanging up with her, I started to come back to the informative e-mails from our agency about packing, travel documents, and visas. And then my dream began to unwind.

Indian citizens need a visa to enter the U.K.

Ugh.

So, while Eric and I just need a passport, Dorothy would need a visa to leave the airport. Applying for a visa is essentially applying for permission to enter the country. And you fill out forms, and submit your passport to acquire this.

We won't have Dorothy's Indian passport until we are in-country with her.

And the UK Border Agency that handles visas informed me today that processing takes at least 15 days. 15 days that we won't be able to stay in India for.

A dream unravels.

14 comments:

Amy Button said...

I'm so sorry. That just stinks to be so close and to not be able to stay.

momwithfaithandhope said...

Sorry to hear that your dream can't be a reality, but perhaps that's why you were so torn. Not to mention, I'm sure the kids will desperately want to meet Dorothy and have Mommy and Daddy home safe and sound. Can you arrange for a long layover and have Grandma visit you at the airport for a BIG HUG?!

Precious Wonders and Little Monkeys said...

I'm soo soo sorry. Ugh... immigration and visas. rules. ugh. Big hug for you. Maybe, keep hope.

Tami and Bobby Sisemore Family said...

I am sooo sorry that it is not going to work out the way you wanted! Is that airport like some that I have seen with a hotel ON SITE? if so perhaps you could have a layover of say 23 hours or something and Grandma could come to the airport hotel to meet yall! :) It would allow for rest in a bed as well between flights! Just a thought. But even if it doesn't work out then prayerfully Grandma can meet the princess soon!

Soo excited you are so close :)

Big hugs
Tami
PRAYING JEREMIAH HOME QUICKLY
www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogspot.com

KT said...

Maybe somehow you could figure a way for them to come to the airport...I wonder if they contacted an airline if they could make a special arrangement for them to get into the gate (the allow this for kids that are traveling alone in the US...)...or even a hotel as Tami mentioned above. So excited that you are starting to get into the details of traveling!!

erika said...

I am sorry to hear that, Tisra. What a bummer. I will be praying that either somehow it will amazingly work out or that you guys can miraculously have a trip back there in the near future.

It's all happening and I am so excited for you<3

Amy said...

Bummer - but for sure God is designing this too for his purpose. Can't wait for Dorothy to be home!

rohit.kegan said...

irk..:(,dammit..immigrations n regulations..I am still hoping that all will turn out well..

Mary said...

I'll bet when it's all said and done you'll be glad to get back more quickly. Of course it would be wonderful to be able to do it all, but I can just imagine the emotions you will be experiencing as well as the physical exertion will be very exhausting for all of you. I'm not saying you couldn't handle it because I know you could, but you might enjoy it more if you have another opportunity later.

Modern Crush said...

The Lord knows dear...

Anonymous said...

I hope everything works out for you, it would indeed be special to show her off to the family. Maybe your agence could contact the Children's Home in advance and see if there is anything they can do? I know our Children's Home had Manu's passport for about 2 weeks prior to our arrival. Good luck!

Julie said...

I like Tami's idea--at least have your gramma come to the airport!!

Wife of the Pres. said...

Oh Tisra, I'm so sorry. I know how much this meant to you. Are you certain? Is there a nice hotel attached to the airport? Could she at least go there and if so, would your Grandma be able to travel to the airport?

I have heard of lots of families who take a night at an airport hotel before finishing their travel home, and were glad they did.

There is a blog on my sidebar called "LydiaHope". They had a similar situation except they are a couple from w/ dual citizenship, she a Brit and he American. They were able to get BOTH UK and US Visas while in China. It seemed impossible but the two govt. entities worked together and it was done. They needed it for similar reasons as you w/ their travel home. Maybe, just maybe you could find a way? I can shoot you her email if you like. She is a dear person, and I know she would help direct you if she could.

Wife of the Pres. said...

OK, I just read the comments after I posted mine. Hmmm … looks like this airport idea might be one you could look into? I know the HK airport had a really nice hotel attached. Not sure how the logistics of it worked but we had initially looked into staying there overnight if needed.