Here in Middle Tennessee, tornadoes and large hail and strong winds happen. Almost every year. Some are worse than others. During a particular storm in 2008, I saw the largest hail I'd ever seen- it was about the size of nickels to quarters!
Well, this can "bruise" the roof and cause it wear terribly, crack, and break, aging it well ahead of it's normal end date. On our cul-de-sac, almost everyone was having their insurance company replace their roofs due to storm damage.
We called our insurance company, and they denied the claim. Having had about 4-5 roofing companies come out with estimates, we got lots of opinions to the contrary. But, with a roof over our head that wasn't leaking (yet) we didn't feel ready to shell out of pocket for a new roof ourselves. I was bitter, and frustrated every time I heard the pounding and hammering going on around us- it felt like everyone was getting new roofs except us! [pout] "I want a new roof!"
This spring, there was another storm and we soon found that a leak was coming in through our dining room. Turns out, in April there was another sizable storm with severe wind that has disturbed countless homes in the area. We had a handyman patch the issue temporarily, and he recommended we place a claim with insurance.
Having dealt with them the previous year, and be shot down, I didn't feel like wasting my time on it immediately. Yeah, yeah, I'll get around to it. But then I didn't. See, the leak wasn't coming in anymore and I got busy.
This week, I finally had a roofing company come out (not just a handyman) and they were insistent that a new roof was necessary and they "couldn't believe" an insurance company would disagree. All cynical like, I said "we'll see" and told him I'd follow up with him after a call to insurance. Which I placed yesterday.
So, today, the adjuster called me back and gave me a list of roofers they work well with and said we could deal directly with them without an adjustor's appraisal (because they trust these roofers and would rather not waste their time, I guess). He was very matter-of-fact and much less difficult than whomever I spoke with last year. He didn't use "if" language, and used more of the "when you get your roof" language. This was all very encouraging to me and I am cautious but hopeful.
So, while this is itty bitty in the realm of What Is Important In Life, I would appreciate prayers for favor and happy well-wishes sent our way when the roofing guy comes this afternoon. A new roof, out-of-pocket would cost 6-10 thousand dollars. However, if it is covered, we only owe a $500 deductible. Not to mention house value and peace of mind.
Say it with me, "Roof! Roof!"





2 comments:
Roof, roof!! Give Tisra a roof! LOL! Hope it worked out well:)
I hope it all goes smoothly..insurance claims can be a pain! I am praying for you!
XO
H
Post a Comment