But I don't cook in the microwave, and only re-heat things so I figured my exposure was minimal and never really did much about it.
So, this week, my sister-in-law moved into her rental and there is no microwave. We talked about how bad they potentially are and she said that she hadn't been using hers for 6 months anyway in an effort to be healthier. That was all I needed to give it a go- someone telling me I wasn't overreacting or being "crazy".
Yesterday was my first day. I put a sign on the microwave that says simply "no." so that as I reach for it, I'll be aware and stop myself. The times I reached for it were when my coffee had gone cold, and when I wanted to re-heat some of the black bean stew I made the night before for that day's lunch. Easy Peasy on the stove top for both things. Since I was re-heating little amounts, I found that I wanted my tiny saucepan a lot. This is will be a vital kitchen tool, I can see. Just so that is always clean and ready for use, I handwash it as soon as I'm done warming something up. Again, easy peasy... this really isn't such a big deal.
What do you mostly use your microwave for? I NEVER "cook" a meal for the first time in it. I even prefer to do the jacket potatoes in the oven- they just taste better. And, we use an air popper for popcorn. I really only use the microwave for re-heating food/drink and melting butter.
I dare say I think this transition will be painless.





11 comments:
I am totally with you in principle. I've gone in spurts without using it. Lately however, I am craving any and all convenience. The one thing I had problems with in living without it was when reheating a large portion of previously frozen soup. This would have been fine if I had planned ahead but it was one of those...what shall we have?...Oh, I have some soup in the freezer! Pretty much everything I use it for would be fine without it if I planned ahead better. Softening butter or cream cheese, reheating pizza is better in the toaster oven and like you said, it's not hard to throw most things in a saucepan. Just more cleanup. Right now the two main things I use it for are thawing meat from the freezer (again...if I planned ahead), and heating the water to warm up the milk for a bottle. Just 2 minutes for that and I don't drink the water. I've heard you shouldn't even stand close to the microwave though. Wow that was WAY LONG!
I've thought about the same thing but I always get hung up on things like broccoli and chicken breast and such. Do you re-steam broccoli? And I don't have a toaster oven. I have seen a convection type thing that Dr. Mercola recommends that might work for the things I mentioned.
Kudos to you. I will probably be there someday, just not today.
I suppose I use the microwave to melt butter and cheese. I also sometimes use it to warm water, but not too often for that...only when I'm feeling too lazy to use the kettle.
Oh! But where I *really* use the microwave is when I'm re-heating lunch at work. It's unavoidable there (if you're taking a hot lunch) because there's no stove, etc.
Since moving to Taiwan, I have gone without a microwave for going on 2 years now! I didn't even have a toaster oven until about 9 months ago...everything was done on the 2 plate gas stove...and with 4 kids that was something to get used to...lots of pre-planning! But we have survived, but I am so happy to have the toaster oven - I really missed grilled cheese and a nice roast dinner! Still no microwave though:o) Good luck to you - you can do it!
Rick and I lived without a microwave for 4 months when we lived in Washington, DC. It was quite interesting! And, really, with a little planning it's not that hard to *not* use it. I'd say the majority of what I use it for is defrosting meats (I am also a notorious non-pre-planner of my meals) and cooking popcorn. Other than that it is reheating leftovers and that's about it. If we got rid of it, I would definitely survive. :)
You're correct about the hot spots/cold spots but not completely right about the nutrients.
In fact, all cooking breaks down nutrients...and the longer a food is exposed to heat, the more nutrients it will lose.
In fact, according to a study on health.msn, as well as other sources (such as webmd), conventional ovens actually destroy more nutrients than microwave ovens.
"High temperatures and long cooking times lead to the evaporation of moisture from conventionally cooked food, and that water within the food contains nutrients. Even when vegetables are boiled, some minerals and vitamins are lost as they seep into the water and disappear in steam. The difference may not make or break your daily nutritional requirements, but microwave cooking generally preserves more nutrients." (from MSN)
Tisra, we have been without a microwave over a year now and we have not missed it a bit. We use a convection toaster oven instead. It reheats food very nicely, broils and toasts. And we use a hot air popper too. :) I am SO glad not to have one in the house. Whatever it does to food, I just know it's not a natural way to heat and I don't like the radiation in my house.
Rebecca
P.S. Thawing meat: put in a bowl of hot water. It thaws pretty quick.
I only use it to melt butter and to thaw meat. I could get rid of mine too, huh?!
Congratulations! We moved to a house without a microwave 5 years ago and still do not have one. Obviously it is not a hardship or we'd have purchased a new one. I taught the kids to double boil when they needed to heat something delicate, and our stove or toaster oven does all the rest. It is totally just a mindset change - give yourself 15 minutes instead of 15 seconds and you'll be fine. Like I told the kids - planning ahead is not a bad thing to learn.
Post a Comment