Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Washington, D.C. 2010

Right. Blogging. Ugh. I've dropped the ball as of late. I really enjoy updating on our life, I really do. I also really, really find myself more scatterbrained now with 4 kids. So, sitting at the computer and completing a thought is a ridiculous challenge.

But, here goes my attempt! I'll have you know that just putting the pictures on here has taken me 2 hours of "a bit here, a bit there" uploading.

Washington was our last stop on our recent trip and occupied only a day and a half of our time. This means that a lot was crammed in. We may or may not look a little weathered at this point. I have no idea why I'm blogging this in backwards order other than it will give me permission to move on if I never return to post the first parts of the trip. Part of me craves finality.

(no, now is not the time to mention that I still haven't written up and posted all our India journal days)

Subway for breakfast. They make English Muffin egg sandwiches with half the fat and calories of a McDonald's version. How do I know?! We ate at almost every fast food establishment during our trip. I can't tell you how awful, but necessary, that was. I'm not ready to eat out anywhere- except a nice restaurant- for quite some time!


During the U.S. Capitol tour, I spied Dean across the rotunda listening intently to the guide's explanation of the statues and artwork and why they'd been selected.

I'm pretty sure he knew I was snapping away.

But maybe not.

Or maybe. Your call?

There was a lot of this for one child or another. With our stroller having a decent max of 100lbs., even Grant got a turn at times.

Smithsonian Air and Space. What perfect fortune to have just studied the Age of Discovery and the Wright brothers one week prior, and to see their plane in person so shortly after!

U.S. Capitol dome (interior roof)


All of us. At times, I've been surprised that we are a family of six now. However, on this trip, I think we felt every bit of our six members. This trip was fun, but exhausting! Sibling squabbles. Plenty of "are we there yet?". And lots of moaning over tired legs.

And here were the faces attached to those tired legs. The reality is that 5 miles of walking (out of 6 mi. total for the day!) created not a single ounce of enthusiasm for seeing the White House. Well, maybe a half an ounce. Then, it was a slump-on-the-sidewalk kind of moment while we tried to Google where the nearest dinner spot was. Food makes everyone much happier. (and let me just tell you that Potbelly has incredible ice cream sandwiches!)

See? Happier.

And goofier.

With a side of "fashion model" tossed in. I don't know where she gets it!

Washington Monument at dusk.

The following morning, we drove to the companion portion of the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in Virginia. The Steven F. Udvar Hazy Center is where they house full air and spacecraft in 2 very large hangars. An entire space shuttle. The Enola Gay. The Concord. Plenty of fun and interesting gliders, artifacts, helicopters, capsules. My boys might also want to tell you that one of the Transformers story lines was filmed here. :-)

This is what a kid in a candy store looks like. In case you were wondering. :-)


One of the things I loved most was watching Eric explain it all to his kids.

We're going to watch Apollo 13 tonight and make come even more to life! :-)

8 comments:

momwithfaithandhope said...

Enjoyed reading your update! I know hard it can be to find time to blog. Sometimes it's easier to just read everyone else's and let mine slide! So do tell. . .what's the difference between being a Mom of 3, and being a Mom of 4? I have selfish purposes for asking of course! LOL

Amy Button said...

So glad you're back! I looooovvvveee the pictures of Dean. It made me laugh. And Lael does look like a little fashion model. I'll have to show you pictures from when Amanda was little...they're practically the same. You may have a little drama queen on your hands :D

Modern Crush said...

hahah I love that pic of everyone slumped over in front of the white house!!! We went to DC 4th of July weekend when I was like 19 or 20 - It was a HIKE to get there from where we were, and it was BLAZING hot, being July and all. SO glad you had a fun trip!! Love the pics of Lael too! xo

Forever Amber said...

DC was my all time favorite field trip. I hope to get Madison over there before too long. What a great family experience!

Tami and Bobby Sisemore Family said...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Mary said...

I totally thought I commented on this, but I'll bet I got distracted and never sent it through. Silly Mary.

It sounds like you had a fabulous time and I love these pictures of your kids. So much personality just bursting out of them. Makes for a lot of fun traveling I'm sure.

Wife of the Pres. said...

WE loved DC too. It is really a great lesson in history, government, perseverance, PE, and oh so much more.

Hope school is going well. We are just about done. Thankfully!

Amy Button said...

Ooh, the whole fast food thing...we did that on our vacation too and I was so sick after just two days! It makes me so glad that we eat our meals mostly at home. I came home not wanting fast food again, ever! Of course, that isn't practical :)