Friday, October 09, 2009

"Go, Cat, Go!"

"Get out of that bag!"

I've been keeping a little secret. It's a good secret. You'll love it!

We're taking someone with us to India.


That "someone" is Jessie Baldwin of Speckled Bird Art. She's been a friend of Eric's since she started dating one of his closest high school friends, Rick. By the time Eric and I were dating, they were already married and living in Las Vegas.

Fast forward to January. I sent out our referral announcement e-mail and got this response from Jess:

"I want to go to India and take pictures of you getting your baby."

HuH????! What?!

If you haven't already, go click on her website. She is a breathtakingly talented professional photographer. It would be a dream to have her photograph us getting Dorothy, but I also knew that this adoption sapped us of a lot of resources and there is no way we were going to splurge on a photographer for our adoption. "Great fantasy, but I'm not rich", I thought.

So, I politely responded that, while we'd love that, it wasn't in our budget.

What I did not know, was that God was working in her heart; He was giving her a love for the children of India. And, if there was a way, she was planning to go to India whether it included us or not. Our referral just solidified that resolve and gave it another facet. You can read more about it here, in Jessie's own words.

So, she is coming with us! Tickets bought. Visas in hand.

I can not wait to see the pictures! People, she works MAGIC with her camera. I knew she was good, but it was never more apparent to me until this August when we were at Matt and Kristy's wedding. I was there- saw the same wedding, witnessed the same gorgeous gown, and ate the same cake. But, the difference between what I saw, and the details and emotions she picked up... remarkable! That's why she does what she does; she has a gift. (see her shots here)

My daughter, who has only ever had a handful of images taken of her, will have her first moments with Mommy and Daddy captured in gorgeous detail! Rather like making up for lost time, isn't it?

I am continually floored by how the Lord has used our adoption. It's not just about us. It's not just about Dorothy. And even if it were, that would graciously be enough! But, our generous, loving God is going to impact so many more with these images, with our time in India, with our stories. We'd don't know the half of it yet, but I am expectant.

See? I told you, you'd love this secret!



14 comments:

trina said...

Tisra!! What a dream. I have tears. I'm so excited for you. Can't wait to see those beautiful pictures of our precious Dorothy.

Amy Button said...

I don't even have words to express how incredibly touching it is to see how God has worked out so much. Just to know that someone will be there to capture the precious moments that you wouldn't be able to, to know that you don't even have to think about taking a picture of the things you want to remember is absolutely priceless. God bless all of you on your journey.

Quebedeaux said...

How awesome for you guys. One less thing for you to worry about!! What a blessing

The Family K. said...

AWESOME! What a blessing that God has worked in both of your hearts to be at the same place in the world at the same time. You are going to have some gorgeous photos. And what a blessing that you will have your hands free to concentrate on the important moments, rather than worrying about chronicling them for the future.

Brittnie said...

Oh Wow! I have chills. Can't wait to see all that the LORD does and those gorgeous pictures!

Brittnie

Jessie said...

Yay! I love this secret too. I am so excited about this whole thing. I can't wait to go with you! Eight days! That's it!!! :) :)

Sarah said...

Oh wOW!!! How special!!!

Tami and Bobby Sisemore Family said...

how wonderful :) Yall will have fun :)

Precious Wonders and Little Monkeys said...

I still have the email you sent showing me her art about 2 yrs ago. Never had the funds pulled together to get the pictures, but look at how things have pulled together for you and your family. It's amazing to watch all these blessings. I'm so thrilled for you and definitely for her... she has been looking forward to India as you have. You and your hubby will also need the outside strength. Many hugs and love as you are almost on your way!!!! =0) Sara

Mary said...

SUPER! That is going to be so incredible and makes me even more excited about your trip because with her going and taking pictures it will be like taking all of us. Love it!!!!

Lori @ Five of My Own said...

Hi I just found your blog and wanted to introduce myself and offer my congratulations on your pending trip. I am about to sign on with JOH to adopt a little girl from India. It is so encouraging to see that your adoption seems to be moving along.

Your daughter is beautiful. We adopted our first daughter (we also have 3 bio boys) this past January and it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. I wish you much luck.

BTW having someone come along to take pictures is an absolute gift. You are very fortunate.

Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish said...

Can't wait to see those pics...how wonderful to have someone so talented and close to you sharing that experience with you. I am so happy that you will soon have your sweet girl in your arms. Sending you prayers for a safe trip and many magical moments with Dorothy. You have all been waiting for this for so long. Made my day to read your comment about traveling in just a few days. Could you hear me jumping for joy all the way in Sicily? You will be in my thoughts during this special time.

Shana said...

Tisra, I was completly touched by Jessie's blog and so happy that you will have this experience. How amazing! I am so excited to follow your journey as you followed ours:)

Stephanie said...

The pictures of your reunion with Dorothy take my breath away. God is so very, very good!