Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Poor

One of my other transformations in thinking came while we were in India. There are so many people there. So much poverty. You hear about it... you know about it... but it's interesting what happens when you actually come face to face with it because the American brain can't really comprehend.

You attempt logic, firstly to explain the poverty. And in the land of the American Dream, where hard work pays off, and everyone has a shot at fame and success, this means you wonder if the poor are to blame.


Typing that seems wrong, but if you've ever hesitated to hand a homeless person a dollar on the side of the road, than you've- consciously or unconsciously- judged whether or not that person had a hand in their circumstances.

"If they only worked harder to get a job"
"If they didn't drink away their money"
"If they weren't so lazy"

Seeing so many lonely roadside stands stocked with coconuts, water bottles, and betel nut packets, it made me wonder why they were attempting to sell the same thing that the guy 20 ft. down the road was selling with no success. There they all sat, in the heat of the day, with no customers. I wondered how they made any money at all!

And aside from the roadside stand owners, there were so many other people simply laying about doing nothing. We wondered if the soaring temperatures made everyone lethargic; I know I didn't feel like being especially industrious in 95 degree weather!


On part of our trip, a smart- yet uneducated- young man (roughly 18?) gave us a tour of a historic site. He was charming, and well-spoken, yet admitted that he couldn't write his own name. He was part of a caste, he said, that didn't allow him to be educated. Jess, who traveled with us, said to him, "You should come to America and go to school!" But how does one tuck away money for a $1500 plane ticket when food is about all your wages will purchase? It's like picking up pennies on the sidewalk, hoping to buy the Empire State Building.


With that, the many layers ... the contributing factors... as to why a person might be poor, come to life.

It's usually more complicated than it first appears.

And, is it our job to judge the poor? To place their reasons for poverty in a hierarchy? Or what about the type of poor that a person is? Poor in spirit? Poor in health? Poor in morals? Poor monetarily? Poor in knowledge? Is one worse than another, or is poor simply poor, no matter the kind?

What does the Bible say?



"Whoever oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God." Proverbs 14:31

"Whoever is kind to the poor lends to the LORD, and he will reward them for what they have done." Proverbs 19:17

"Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy." Proverbs 31:9

“The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free..." Luke 4:18

"But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind..." Luke 14:13

My mind spun back around, in the end, to the simple command of Jesus:
"Love one another"

We are commanded to love the poor. That doesn't always look like a dollar in a hat, or handout of a meal. In fact, depending on the type of poverty, and the reason for it, real love demands a more long-term action: walking beside someone through addiction recovery, educating a mother in the care of her child, holding someone accountable to their commitment to work, or enabling a poor person's talents to be used.

But, the point- the whole reason I'm writing this- is that I left all my pondering with the undeniable knowledge that God asks us to act. Judging someone's reasons for poverty, with the purpose of excusing myself from helping them, is not Christ-like.

I'm currently reading a great book that sheds light on how exactly one should help the poor. I highly recommend it:


Full disclosure: buy it through this link and Amazon rewards us with 5-15%. :-)

Once you've moved to the point of *wanting to help*, this is a great way to know *how* to help. If you do happen to read it, let me know. I've recommended it others and some good dialogue is happening!




3 comments:

Mary said...

Someone else recommended that book to us recently and we haven't yet acquired it. I'll tell Kris to order it through your link. This, of course, gives me a lot to think about and I hesitate to comment until I've read the book. :) I need to blog about an experience I had recently in helping a poor man here in Mt. Juliet. I struggle!!!!! Even when the need is obvious, to give to someone who has made BAD...really bad choices. Yet...who am I? I finally came to the conclusion that a handout isn't always the answer, but acting somehow is, and that must be a Spirit led endeavor. Draw close to Him and the answers are ready when we need them. Long I know...but you're provoking posts leave me little choice. Love you friend. :)

Unknown said...

Really compelling post. I'll have to check out that book. Sounds really interesting.

Hey - would you mind checking out www.sparrow-fund.org? My husband and I along with a board of directors launched this nonprofit in April and we're trying to get the word out that we're here. We have sent letters to agencies but feel like blogs are probably the best way to get the info out to waiting families. If you might be willing do write a post about it, would you please let me know? Thanks!

Sara said...

I think I am printing this out. This post sums up thoughts I have had for years. I absolutely enjoyed every minute of this. Thank you Tisra. It is a breath of fresh air to bring to light something that often isn't addressed enough. Love you.