Monday, February 07, 2011

Sandy Maego

I've been a terrible blogger. We got a dog in August and this is the first I'm posting of it.

Meet Sandy Maego:

She is an Airdale Terrier.

Dorothy started out bigger than her, but not any longer. Sandy is about 50 pounds now, and might have some growing left in her. But, Dorothy's attitude is still one of dominance. She bosses Sandy around All. Day. Long. Sometimes Sandy listens. Sometimes she doesn't. Sometimes their interactions are super cute. (Like when Sandy obdiently sits for Dorothy when she requests it in her tiny squeaky 3 year old voice) Sometimes they're super annoying. (Like when Sandy trys to con Dorothy out of her breakfast and Dorothy is squawking "No! Sandy! No!") They are a hilarious duo!

In the early days, we put Sandy in the bike carrier, and took her with us around town. Now she's far too big for that, but it was cute while it lasted. I'd love to go for a bike ride right now. So. Cold. In fact, as I type this, it's snowing. Again. It has been a cold winter.

Here is Sandy with her sister, Penny Lane. Friends of ours adopted one of the other dogs from the same litter and we get see them romp and play together when we get together. Super fun. A bit crazy for inside play, and not the best idea on a wet muddy day, but still a lot of fun.

Too cute not to post. But obviously with the disclaimer that I. Did. Not. Put. Dorothy. In. There. :-)

And here is a just-about-present-day photo of our doggie now. I love that her Airdale beard is growing in, and her long legs are even lankier. They are really pretty dogs.

Now, I will also say that the Puppy Phase is hard. I ended up deciding that if we were already going to be cleaning up puppy accidents, that I might as well do Dorothy accidents at the same time (I mean, if you've already got the cleaner out... why not?) Sooo... that was an intense month! But, I can tell you they are both successfully trained at this point. Hooray!

Our present challenges are:
-walking without pulling
-jumping on anyone who enters the door
-wanting to "mouth" your hands/ feet/ whatever. She doesn't chew hard, but its still not right. And, I did discover that her saliva makes me itchy. :-(

Overall, though, our doggy addition is a good one. We love our Sandy Maego.

5 comments:

Amy Button said...

Awww, sweet Sandy. I'm glad she's finally made a blog appearance :)

Mary said...

So good to have an addition that everyone loves and gets along with. Great post and fun pictures.

erica said...

what an awesome pictures of dorothy in the kennel with her mate. I've often said if only kennels were legal for children. excellent post.
~erica (adopting Neha from Haryana)

Forever Amber said...

Every family needs a good (read "well trained") dog. Sounds like you guys have found a great one and you're doing everything necssary to make sure she gets the discipline and sructure she needs to fit perfectly in with your crew. She's adorable!

Angie said...

So cute!!!

Much love,
Future Mama
http://expectingablessing.blogspot.com/