Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Happy 3rd Birthday, Dorothy!

Last year, we were recently home from India and wanted to keep the 2nd birthday celebrations calm, low-key, and non-intimidating.

THIS YEAR was a totally different story! We knew that this little 3 year old had gained a whole world of favorite people who love her and that they ALL should be there!

We had about 50 people crammed into our house to enjoy cake and ice cream. She truly LOVES all these people, from Auntie Angie and Uncle Tim to the neighbor down the street she calls "Uncle JJ". And they seem to love her. I dare say, she's wrapped them all around her sweet little finger!


Leading up to her birthday, she began gaining understanding of birthday-ish things. We went to the Kelso boys birthday and learned the Birthday Song, and talked about how she was "2", but would be "3" before long. About 2 or 3 weeks out from her birthday, she'd wake up in the morning and say, "Happy Birthday???" and I would reply, "Soon." Every. Day.

So, on the actual day, our sweet little girl woke up and I said with a smooch, "Happy Birthday, Dorothy!!!". She giggled and said "soon." It took some convincing and repetition for her to understand that Today was the day.

She wore the sweet little crown to church, and we came home and got ready for the masses to arrive by giving the birthday girl a little nap. She was a bit overwhelmed, but still happy, when she woke up to neighbors, and friends, and family buzzing about the house. Smiles and hugs continued and then it was time to sing and eat cake...

and then the smiles stopped. Even after a year home, and all of her buddies, and all her amazing bonding... 50 people staring at you and singing at you is intimidating! She burst out bawling. Full on, howling-style bawling. Big, big crocodile tears.

{And, I wish I had pictures to show you, but a card error happened with my nice SLR camera and all I have are the few shots I got on the iPhone. :-(}

{And, I will pretty much have to say the exact same thing about a few other recent events since I hadn't transfered pictures to the computer in at least 2 months. Ooops.}

{And, yes, I'm devastated. I might have cried a bit.}

{And, yes, my tech-savvy husband tried his best to retrieve the pictures on his own. He's good, so I have no doubt that it's just unretrievable.}

So, we let the good memories resonate in our minds. Those photos will never do her cuteness justice, anyway. Happy birthday sweet Dot! I am one blessed mommy to have little 3 year old you running around my house!

10 comments:

Forever Amber said...

Tis - I have software specifically for retrieving "lost" picture files. It's worth a shot. It has worked for me in the past. It's called Image Recall. Let me know if you want to try it. lost pictures are the WORST :(

Kristy Hall said...

Happy Birthday Dot! What a wonderful story.

What is it about 3rd Birthdays? Murphy cried when his class sang him Happy Birthday last year. We're approaching #4 at the end of January and he keeps saying he kept saying he "doesn't want a Birthday." until we reassured him that no one would sing to him. Not sure what that's all about but I'm thinking he'll prob. grow out if it in time.

Amy Button said...

Awww, sweet Dorothy. I would never have thought that she would cry like that...she's such a little ham. I love that kiddo.

Mary said...

I felt so bad for her when all the singing got to her. She recovered well though.

I wish we had brought our camera and taken pictures that night. I know your pain. Thankfully, I ("I" means Kris in this story) was able to retrieve our pictures through some software miracle, but it was just before Christmas that I lost a BUNCH of pictures of the boys and of some stationery that I had made and already sent off. Life doesn't have a lot of retakes. I hated that feeling...that feeling of your heart slowly dropping to the bottom of your stomach and that burning fire that builds as you process the depth of what this "little error" means. It is NOT A GOOD FEELING. May your memory refuse to quit in remembering the moments on that card.

The Family K. said...

Happy birthday, Dorothy! I can only imagine the love and excitement that filled the room that day.

I do hope you're able to recover those pictures. Realizing they were irretrievable (but hopefully not) must have been painful!

Tami and Bobby Sisemore Family said...

Happy Birthday sweet thing! :) Such a sweet story. Can't wait to see how things are at 4 :) Another year to love people and grow the number :)

big hugs,
Tami
PRAYING 4 A MIRACLE 4 JEREMIAH
www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogspot.com

Angie said...

How sweet! Love your blog, have been reading it awhile, now starting my own to document our own adoption journey!!

http://expectingablessing.blogspot.com/

Glad she had such a great birthday :-)

Anonymous said...

Have you seen these?

http://hearts4heartsgirls.com

Your daughter is Adorable?

Linda said...

http://hearts4heartsgirls.com

Your daughter is ADORABLE!

PJ Academy said...

Happy Birthday Beautiful!!!!!!