Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Tennessee Adoption Day


Appearing in our local court in May to adopt Dorothy was a huge hurdle. Finalizing the adoption this way made every part of her placement in our family complete. Indian courts named us as her guardians, but not her parents, so this step- unlike some international adoption cases- was vital and not a mere formality. In our *hearts* it felt like a formality, but I guess I could say that every step of the process *to our hearts* has been a formality. The second we mailed our dossier to India in pursuit of her, she was our daughter!

That being understood, adopting her in the United States court system means that she is officially ours in the eyes of the law and can gain any privilege that the law allows "natural born" children. She, additionally, gains US citizenship (being fully adopted by two US citizens) and the rights of any American, and can not be deported. We're happy about that! And in amongst the adoption, we could opt to officially change her name to Dorothy.

Adoption Day was also a hurdle and celebration because we represented ourselves, and did it successfully! With all of the other adoption costs we've had, we wanted to keep her US adoption as inexpensive as possible. I'd been told that we had the right to represent ourselves, and that it can be a rather straightforward process for those who've completed much of the process internationally. Being a decently smart, if not determined, person, I was all about figuring out how to do this thing.

First, I called a few lawyers and paralegals to see if anyone would be willing to provide the proper templates or forms for a small fee (so I could do the work myself). Not much luck there. But, one kind lawyer tossed me a bone and said I could try using a legal text by Coppock. Hmmm... "thank you. I'll look that up."

Then, I made an appointment and met with the Clerk and Master of our local court. When I outlined the type of adoption case we were ("India grants guardianship like Korea, and does not finalize the adoption. This is not a re-adoption like China.") she blew me off and said that I should hire a lawyer. Having the right to represent oneself does not mean you'll have the support of the court, I found. I pressed a bit more and mentioned that I'd found a legal text that came recommended by a lawyer. "Coppock, huh?", she said. Probably to get me out of her office, she offered to loan me her copy and even put a few sticky notes in it for me. I borrowed it over the week to make sure it wasn't over my head entirely.

A quick read confirmed that it would be a bit of work, but that I could do it. The court needed their copy back, so I did have to shell out $170 to obtain my own copy. Well worth it. (returning the Clerk and Master's copy with chocolate and a handwritten thank you note was likely a wise move, also)

I submitted our Petition to Adopt with all the supporting documents. The result? A court date and a compliment; the Clerk and Master said that my papers were put together better than some lawyers. YEAH!


A few more documents, along with some triple-checking, and we appeared for court at the appointed time. Everyone looked fantastic. Being homeschoolers who attend a casual church, we had to actually go out and purchase slacks and button-ups for the boys for this day! They had no "fancy" clothes.

I also hadn't realized that our court time was the equivalent of a huge casting call. Hundreds of people given the exact same time to show up, and then the judge worked his way through the docket. I think we sat for about 2 hours before we were called. All of the other cases were divorces. The sad thing was that they had to air everything in public like that and then WE- the happy case!- were pulled privately into the chambers to take our vows and sign the papers. Seems a shame. Our children behaved so well, even though Eric and I were tense about the extended wait with four children in a hushed room on hard wooden benches. (well, hushed apart from the apparently angry woman in the courtroom beside us who could be clearly heard cussing/ screaming through the walls... *that* was fun! It didn't last long. I'm certain the bailiff had something to do with that.)

Finally, we were called back to the judge's chambers. Turns out he is a neighbor we knew already. That's Nashville for you. He outlined how seriously they take adoption cases (citing the recent Russian case that was a tragedy), and had us swear that we would care for her and provide for her and that we knew this was a permanent placement etc. It was very sweetly done and at the end, we took the picture with the judge. Sadly, the person who shot the pic did not crop it well, but I know how beautiful everyone looked that day. We were also happy to finally, officially have Dorothy be OURS.

Leaving the courthouse, we had a celebratory lunch at J. Alexander's and did not leave until we'd had their warm carrot cake!

Then, an afternoon at the Science Center seemed like fun. There was absolutely no line, so the boys did the space jumpy thingy at least twice.



And Dorothy absolutely loved the glow room. The walls are lined with glow-in-the-dark wallpaper. You pose, and then hit a button which turns on BRIGHT lights for about 30 seconds before the room is dark again. Only, once the lights turn off, you can see your "artwork"- black body shapes surrounded by the neon glowing background. Very fun. Even more so if you're two and like pressing buttons!

Fantastic, fantastic day all around!

12 comments:

SLP said...

BEAUTIFUL...WONDERFUL...CONGRATULATIONS!

We are a family with IFS too. I know you emailed us as you were a reference family for them. I also appreciate all your comments in the chat groups. So, congratulations!

Sally

Amy Button said...

Completely fantastic :D

The Family K. said...

Congratulations on the milestone. If you ever need a second career, I suggest you hire yourself out as an adoption paperwork-filer. Kudos to you for doing all the legal legwork to complete the adoption.

You all look gorgeous, btw.

Modern Crush said...

Tisra, this is quite a document of family history! Extremely special!

Unknown said...

Tisra,
So glad you got through all the paperwork and great job on figuring it all out! Last thing any of us want to do is spend more money after we already have our children home.
By the way I looked at this post yesterday and looked down at my Lacey and she was wearing the exact same dress as Dorothy. LOL!
Beautiful picture.

Aaron Tague said...

Wonderful! You finally made it through the adoption circus :) Congratulations for officially becoming a forever family.
Blessings to you- Brooke

Amy said...

congrats! We didn't need to appear in court here in Oregon alas, no photo op to mark the milestone, but nonetheless we were thrilled to have that particular milestone behind us. Have you done a certificate of citizenship for her? If not, are you going to? Everyone says we need one but nowhere can I find WHY we need one.

Peter and Nancy said...

Congratulations on finalization, and kudos to you for doing the paperwork yourself! Every state is so different -- here in WI, we don't have to hire a layer or do much of anything but submit documentation and a little paperwork.

What a great day to officially be declared FOREVER Dorothy's parents and family!
Nancy
(home with Anya Rashi for 2 1/2 years, and waiting for daughter #2 from India -- and chasing our 2 homegrown boys)

Tami and Bobby Sisemore Family said...

Congrats on the finality :) wanna come
visit me in LA and figure this xrazynplace out?? I have 2 I need to do that for!! Love the pics!!! Big hugs Tami

Lynda said...

Congrats to you all on Dorothy's finalization!
Way to go doing it on your own!

Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish said...

Congratulations! I love that family photograph with the judge. We have a similar one that I treasure. So glad to see that all is going well. And what a cool science museum.

Precious Wonders and Little Monkeys said...

Already crying for you! I know how much this means to all of you. I know how hard all that paperwork is too. We are doing ours and I did all the work ahead of time and then we realized my husband's work has pre-paid legal which pays for it ($18 a month for a year), so we took all our work there and now we are waiting to sign, submit, and get our court date. I agree, the lawyers said that these adoptions are a treat and a break from the day and that they love them. HUGE KUDOS on the work!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! All done! (well sorta... I know COC, etc.) I miss talking with you but I know we are busy women! You are such a beautiful family. Congratulations again on this wonderful finally finalization!