Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Niagra Falls

in front of America Falls, before it got crazy

So, it's been almost 2 months since the East Coast Insane Driving Tour (of Washington DC, PA, and Niagra), but you'll just have to put up with me. I need the closure. I need to know that I finished a bloggy goal ('cause we all know I still haven't blogged all of our India trip!).

The first day of our trip, we drove to a mid point in Ohio, slept, and then carried on to Niagra Falls. We booked hotel on the Canada side to, you know, say we've been to Canada. I totally forgot to insist that our passports were stamped. :-( Instead, they just waved us through after a quick Q & A and inspection.

It was completely worth crossing the border! As the guide books all said, the Canadian side is nicer. Better view of the falls, and a much nicer tourist district. Sorry, America. The main strip near the falls looked like Gatlinburg, complete with a Ripley's something-or-other and lots of ice cream shops and cheap t-shirts. We were there for the natural attraction and managed to avoid the man-made "attractions" apart from some of the ice cream.

For anyone going, I highly recommend the ice cream stop AFTER seeing the Falls. We were shivering! The wind created by the rushing water, along with the mist, is chilly enough on its own. The Maid of the Mist is the way to go. Really exciting, just- again- really cold. We were not wearing the appropriate clothing and at one point, when the boat sat at the bottom of the Horseshoe Falls (the BIG one!) for what seemed like a zillion years, we just wanted to get off. Grant will always remember that he was rocked by the boat and bit his lip. He mentions it every time. I think Eric and I tried to laugh, and tell the kids how great it was ("Wooooo Hooo, kids!!! Isn't this fun????!!!!"). But, in reality, it was intense and rocky and wet and we were happy to emerge from the bottom of the water avalanche with all four children not crying. At one point, three of them were clinging to me. No pictures. It was too wet. And intense. Did I say "intense"? Ha! Great memories. I wouldn't change a thing!

We rounded out the night with a search for dinner that wasn't going to cost an arm and a leg (touristy places always get you, don't they?) and a swim in the hotel pool.

The next day, we stopped at a NY pizza place in Buffalo. In my limited time there, I formed the opinion that it is one of the dreariest cities ever and must be depressing when they're snowed in. You'd think to combat the harsh winters that they would paint the buildings fun colors like this or something! Oh well.

Niagra was well out of our way, but I'm so glad we went. Completely worth it and a priceless memory to share with our children.






2 comments:

Amy Button said...

Great stuff...and *wow* that does look like Gatlinburg. It makes me kind of sad. I mean, I like Gatlinburg ok, but it seems like *Niagra Falls* should be more classy. Just my opinion.

Shad and Maggie Alsworth said...

Hey Tisra!
I'm a little late checking your blog! I wish I had known that you were in our neck of the woods. We could've met up for an hour or so! :( Bummer!
I'm glad that you had a good time at the falls... and I agree that the Canadian side is MUCH prettier although the American side has a state park and the older kids would enjoy the trolley. A thought for next time. They do fireworks over the falls 2-3 times a week. I hope you were able to see them. It's beautiful!!
-Maggie