Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Valentine's Party!

I am fortunate to know a large number of other homeschooling families in the Nashville area. I invited a bunch of them over for a Valentine's Party. Why should the "normal school" kids have all the fun???? Everyone wore red/ pink/ white, brought valentine cards to exchange, contributed heart-shaped or red/ pink/ white goodies to share, and had "mailboxes" to receive Valentine's cards from others. As the responses flowed in, it was clear we'd have a LOT of kids joining in the fun (about 25 in total, I think). All were so well behaved; must be homeschooled! *wink*

Grant attended a school a few years back that was big on making really elaborate Valentine mailboxes. They even had a contest. So, the bar had already been set and none of my kids wanted a dinky shoebox. Each of them put the Costco-sized cereal boxes to use and drew up plans. Here is Dean's lion.

What gathering of children lately has occurred *without* Silly Bandz trading???

So many people didn't know each other, I whipped out the name tags. Dorothy took it upon herself to be the Name Sticker Stealer.

Here is Grant with his robot creation. I had only one role in the project- to help him tape the foil down in areas that required more than two hands. Apart from that, he did it entirely himself- from planning to execution -which made me really proud.



Look at those kids!!! All in my living room!!! Some of the littler ones aren't even pictured. It was amazing.

Moms acting like moms... who wouldn't want a snap of all the cuteness!

Loved, loved, loved the red polka dot ribbon!

My little fashionista who planned her own eclectic outfit. No one can deny it had red, white, and pink!

Donuts? With sprinkles? And Cosmic Snack Mix? You don't have to offer me twice!

Aw yeah... those are tulips from my sweet Valentine (and my handsome oldest son!). I need an entirely different blog post to mention how spoiled I was by Eric on Valentine's. He knows me so well.

Grapes!

Here is the part where they were really quiet. Lots of sugar munching. :-)

Handing out Valentine's. As we prepared the ones we were handing out, I was disappointed by how things have shifted. Where are the cards with *envelopes*??? Most of the candy is individually packaged now (with areas to write "to", and "from") and it seems no one is buying bulk bags and slipping a few Conversation Hearts or Red Hots into each envelope. C'mon.... who remembers carefully selecting the Conversation Hearts to go to each friend in class? Meeee! I do!





And then, at the end, it seems that all the mommies were saying the same thing. "Enough". "All done". "Last one". Enough treats for a lifetime all in one morning!

17 comments:

The Family K. said...

Great idea. You certainly were the hostess with the mostest kids. You deserve a big shiny award for having 25 kids + parents in your home.

The boys' Valentine's boxes were stunning. Clearly they have their mom's artistic talent. I loved the picture of sweet Dorothy covered in stickers. How very 2 year-old of her.

And yes, I, too, am lamenting the lack of envelopes with Valentine's cards. What gives?!

Tami and Bobby Sisemore Family said...

oh wow!! Looks like such fun! I need to remember this when I am schooling my boys! When Celeste was little the homeschool group had a big valentine's Party at the skating rink, but I like the smaller at a home better! Dorothy looks amazing! :)

big hugs,
Tami
PRAYING JEREMIAH HOME QUICKLY
www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogspot.com

Mary said...

I totally agree on the envelopes. I am so bad though I nearly forgot to get valentines for Owen...okay I did forget but we had enough left from last year to cover his class. I had actually planned much earlier to do something very special, but it's not good when I plan too early...somewhere between planning and time to execute I forget.

I love the pictures and I am SO very impressed with Grant and Dean's valentine boxes. I LOVE them. The open mouth on Dean's lion and the very complex robot from Grant. I thought I saw something beaming from the Franklin area and it must have been you. :)

I will have to fill you in on Owen's (real) Valentine. Young love is in our midst.

momwithfaithandhope said...

WOW what great fun!!! Love the Robot - too cool! And Dorothy is a doll - that little sticker stealer, grape-eatin' cutie!!!

Amy Button said...

What a great party! I love the Valentine's boxes. I never would have thought of that. It definitely gives me ideas for Chloe and (sniff) Halle next year.

I went to Chloe's class for her party and wow, that kid was shoveling in the sweets! I had to tell her to stop.

Great job!

Brooke said...

I totally agree with your thoughts. . . homeschoolers need to have fun too! I LOVE your take on the valentine boxes. Hmmm. . . I will be implementing that into my party planning next year :)

Modern Crush said...

OMG!! I want to come! Think they will believe a 26 yr old who is trying to pass as a homeschooler??? lol funny thought:) Pink and red! I love it all!

Jenny said...

LOVE this. Wish I could have been there! Wish I had kids to do something like this!

Forever Amber said...

Tis - your kiddos look so grown and mature. Grant's face is maturing soooo much. What happened to my little Grantsome?! :) You were always a fabulous host and the party looks like a fabulous time. I hope to meet sweet Dorothy before she's too grown. She's absolutely stunning!

Forever Amber said...

Tis - your kiddos look so grown and mature. Grant's face is maturing soooo much. What happened to my little Grantsome?! :) You were always a fabulous host and the party looks like a fabulous time. I hope to meet sweet Dorothy before she's too grown. She's absolutely stunning!

Quebedeaux said...

Thanks so much for opening your home to us. My kids had a blast...

Mark and Molly said...

Hi! My name is Molly Campbell and I live in Jackson, Tn (2 hours west of Nashville) and we just brought home our son from India 4 weeks ago! If you get a chance, please send me an email (mollycampbell@eplus.net) I would love to hear how the last 3 months have been. Thanks!

Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish said...

That looks like a great Valentine's Party. It's wonderful that you have such a nice group of fellow homeschooling families.

Kate Taylor said...

Loved this post!!! I really enjoyed the pictures. Grant's robot and Lael's "pink, red and white outfit" that she put together herself were fav's!

Julia said...

Hello- I have not read your blog in some time and need to say congratulations on Dorothy! How exciting to have a new daughter in the family. I last read while you were still waiting on a list for Taiwan. She is beautiful!

I also have a question- several years ago you had linked to your husband's blog and he had made a video of your family. The song in the background was by Matthew West, I think, but I've been trying to remember the song and I can't find it on Matthew West's discography. Would you happen to know the name of the song/artist? I've been meaning to buy it for some time. Thanks for any help!

Julia

Julia said...

Thank you, Tisra! Mat Kearney is the right artist. :) Don't know why I couldn't think of that. Thanks for stopping by the blog, too! Maybe you'll find time to knit again someday. :)

Julia

Wife of the Pres. said...

Sad we missed it. :((( Glad it went well!!!! I laughed out loud at that last photo of C telling her girls "enough". Loved the finger pointing … guilty of doing that myself. :) Let's get together again soon after LM's surgery. Love, Leslie