For two years now, I have had a Dick Blick catalog. Thick in size, it is more of a book. I've kept it as a source of inspiration. I want to try everything in it. You could purchase pratically anything in that catalog for me and it would be received with shrieks of joy. Art supplies are like candy to me (although, I also like real candy...I possess an absolutely horrible sweet tooth!). So far, I have dabbled in quite a bit due to my very creative mother who was known for doing the same. I have beaded, sewn, thrown pottery, knitted, painted, used pastels, molded polymer clay, tie-dyed, water-colored, tried calligraphy, and took a few classes in Black and White Photography. Jack of all Trades, Master of None.
So, I have finally placed an order and I can't stop thinking about it! Yea! In 5-7 days I will have all the necessary starter products for doing linoleum block printing (lino-cut). I purchased some Golden-Cut linoleum, a set of Speedball cutters with two handles, a brayer, an inking plate, and a honing stone for the blades. This artform has caught my attention for quite some time. My mom actually used this method for hand printing my baby announcements. (Technically, she did it first for my cousin and then added hearts and used the block again for when she had me...as I remember). In concept, since I've never actually done it, I like the fact that you can create one piece of art and reproduce it in various ways (different ink colors, printing on different paper...). And the carving seems as though it might be rather soothing, especially since it is silent- no machinery involved. (I enjoy sewing, but all the racket irritates me at times). So, we shall see!
Eric reminds me occasionally that I have a few unfinished projects. True. Luckily, I can only think of two. I am nearly done with a quilt that my mom started for Grant when she found out we were pregnant. I could have been done ages ago if I'd simply tied the quilt rather than hand-quilting it. But, since it is the only thing I'll have from her to any of my children, I wanted to do it "the right way". (what was I thinking?!) Tomorrow is sewing, I should probably take it with me. I also have a sweater that I began knitting after Grant was born- had a horrible mistake- had to unravel quite a bit of it- haven't picked it up since. On the bright side, it looks like my track record has been rather good ever since these two projects. And, someday, these will both be done...I just don't know when!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment